Tuesday, May 2, 2017

My Writing Process

           This semester I undertook the task of beginning my memoirs with the help of Mr. Dan Glass.  It became a journey of self-discovery and self-understanding as I set aside time to reflect on my past experiences and what they mean to me.  It feels good to remember and record the many people who have influenced my life.  While the rush of my busy life in the present usually occupies most of my thoughts, it is important to look backwards occasionally to consider where we have come from and to contemplate where we are headed.  Often, I, like others forget that my past is a big part of my present.  This time of focused remembering has healed some pain and helped me polish up some of my treasured memories. 
My writing style is just beginning to evolve.  I tend towards dry recounting of facts and forget all the details that my reader doesn’t know.  Much of my storytelling deviates little from the conversations I have with friends about my past.  While I don’t yet know what my writing style is, I am certain about what I want it to be.  I want my stories to be an honest portrayal of the people I met and of those who gave me access to their lives.  I want to give a voice to those who felt like they had none.  There are so many people who have limited choices for their future.  I want those of us who have many opportunities to recognize them, be grateful for them, and use them to increase the options for those who have none. 
This journey has taught me many things.  I learned that I have something to say, and that there are people interested in my story.  I learned that writing well is possible if I am willing to dedicate the time to learning this art.  Writing for me begins with not only a clarity of mind, but with a clarity of soul.  Sorting out the feelings from an event is crucial before I can write and share it with others. 
I received great encouragement from interviewing two writers and one editor.  They, and the books I read, demystified the writing process and gave me hope that I may someday be happy with the writing that I produce.  Mr. Glass’ gentle guidance has improved the clarity of my writing, as well as expedited my somewhat arduous process. 
I felt an incredible lifting of my soul after putting some of these stories to paper.  I did not realize that I was still carrying some of the sorrows of the beautiful people I met.  There are so many stories still trapped inside that now I know I must write them out, even if they never get published.  This act of writing liberates a part of my spirit and honors the memory of the people that I love. 

The past sixteen weeks has only scratched the surface and I would like to spend quite a bit more time learning what makes writing good, and how to express myself in a way that the general public understands what I am trying to say.  I am grateful, however, for the opportunity to have dedicated time to learning the writing process and to studying my past.  

No comments:

Post a Comment